Cosmetic Surgery or Plastic Surgery is in demand globally. It is performed to make either some changes or enhance some parts of the body by an individual. In the past, usually these surgeries were done to re-establish the appearance of a body part in order to attain the normal look, for e.g., to treat some injury happened during an accident. It may be that some of you may undergo such surgery to give a complete new look to your appearance in order to have a better acceptance in the society. For many, such surgeries have been life safer like by helping recovery from physiological and psychological trauma.
There are various types of cosmetic surgeries that include craniofacial surgery, micro surgery and reconstructive surgery. However medical tourists prefer cosmetic surgery that includes surgical procedures to enhance the appearance of a person. Medical tourism is becoming really a next big thing to conduct such surgeries.
American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) survey shows the below-mentioned facts:
- Rise in Cosmetic surgeries of about 8% per year.
- Number of registered cosmetic surgery rose from 7.4 million to around 16 million in 15 years
- 158% increase in the number of minimally invasive surgeries globally in 15 years.
- Upper Arm lift surgery rose by 4959% and lower body lift by 3973% in 15 years.
- Botox Treatment increased by 759% during the same 15 years period.
- There was decline in the below surgeries performed:
- Hair transplant by 65%
- Forehead Lift by 67%
- Sclero therapy by 63%
Due to heavy technological development in the medicine field we have experienced different trend for few years. With the help of the new techniques most of the medical practitioners were able to perform the surgeries successfully. Another survey performed in the US resulted in showing different trend wherein there was a growing demand for arm lift, buttock lift, upper lift, and breast augmentation. These surgeries are on a rise due to higher adaptability,celebrity status and social stigma.
Massive increase in the numbers of minimally invasive surgeries is due to the technological advancements and the low treatment costs. This has also ensured less operational time for the surgeons. It is also seen that the recovery time and post-operative surgeries for such surgeries have decreased in the recent past.
Botox treatment has a very modest and steady rise of 1% per year in the past. It is majorly used for fixing the wrinkles with the cosmetic surgery. People have started using the chemical peels for skin rejuvenation procedures due to its ease of use. Dermal implant is another method widely used today with the help of Soft tissuesused as fillers. It is growing at an average of 6% per year.
Some important factual Outcomes from the survey is as under:
- Cosmetic surgery was performed on men to do breast reduction. This was a clear case of increase in such surgeries by 35%. Breast reduction cases in men are higher due to unnatural growth due to hormonal imbalance known as Gynecomastia. It is evident that across the globe such surgeries are increasing and the reason is excessive use of steroid and marijuana in men.
- Breast cancer patients are finding this solution apt for them. They prefer such treatments to relieve themselves from breast cancer. Breast reconstruction and augmentation surgeries have picked up popularity among the breast cancer patients. Various women are preferring more and more silicone breast implants and finding it to be very easy for them. This also helps them in removing the cancerous tissues from the breast so that it can be permanently treated too. This clearly states that people are very well aware about the same.
- Other forms of surgeries those are becoming very popular are butt lift surgery (252%), Tummy Tuck Surgery (104%), Breast Augmentation (31%) due to more and more acceptance of social stigma and celebrity culture.
- Cosmetic surgery is performed in countries like Taiwan, Thailand, India, Turkey, Brazil, Costa Rica, and Japan. These are major countries that accept inbound medical tourism.
In the last decade, plastic surgery has been $20 Billion industry and medical tourism has played a huge role in helping plastic surgery industry. Technological advancement, well equipped Medical machineries, better connectivity, robust networks, etc. have helped the industry to come out very well. Better infrastructure has also helped in connecting the patients, doctors, hospitals and other stakeholders with an ease and hassle free method.
Cosmetic surgery is and will be something big in the coming years too.